Associate Director of Marketing
Reports to: Managing Director of Communications
The Curtis Institute of Music educates and trains exceptionally gifted young musicians to engage a local and global community through the highest level of artistry. One of the world's leading conservatories, Curtis is highly selective, with an enrollment of about 165. In this intimate environment, students receive personalized attention from a celebrated faculty. A busy schedule of performances is at the heart of Curtis's distinctive "learn by doing" approach, which has produced an impressive number of notable artists since the school's founding in Philadelphia in 1924. Grounded in this rich heritage, Curtis is looking to the future in a flexible and forward-thinking way, evolving strategically to serve its time-honored mission.
The Associate Director of Marketing is a skilled collaborator, creative thinker, and energetic contributor who plans and implements a comprehensive marketing program to grow brand awareness, generate earned revenue from performances, deepen patron engagement, and continue to successfully compete for the world’s top musical talent. She/he partners with other members of the Advancement Team to increase new audiences to Curtis, grow ticket sales, and deepen engagement with donors and ticket buyers. The Associate Director of Marketing will also partner with colleagues to increase the number of qualified applicants to Curtis and Curtis’s Summerfest program. This role is a key liaison with Curtis’s creative design agency and is responsible for ensuring a consistent and effective brand identity for the school.
Associate Director of Performances and Events, Associate Director of Digital Engagement, Managing Director of Development, Associate Director of Individual Giving, Communications Manager, Summerfest Manager, Curtis Admissions team, Curtis on Tour team.
- The position is responsible for developing and implementing annual marketing plans and the corresponding budgets in the following areas:
- Season/Performance Marketing, including ticketed performances and the Student Recital Series. Work closely with the Associate Director of Performances and Events to plan and implement annual ticket buying/subscription campaign, in print and online, identify target audiences, set prices, develop packages, develop and optimize the ticket purchase path.
- Curtis on Tour – in partnership with Managing Director of Communications
- Admissions – in partnership with the Admissions team
- Summerfest – in collaboration with Summerfest Manager
- He/She is responsible for ticket sales revenue and meeting a yearly revenue goal.
- He/She will also support the work of the development team by advising on donor-focus marketing campaigns and generating leads from ticket buyers and free recital attendees.
Specific Marketing Functions
- Oversee the design and production of all marketing materials, promotions, signage, and advertisements.
- Lead weekly marketing meetings to execute on promotional tactics and track performance metrics.
- Project manage the annual creative campaign, which includes a season brochure.
- Implement print campaigns, working with in-house designer; and digital campaigns, working with Associate Director of Digital Engagement.
- Write interesting, creative, short-form copy that connects and creates impact; this may include brochures, websites, marketing materials, direct mail campaigns, blogs, social media content, email marketing, etc. in collaboration with the Communications team and Associate Director of Digital Engagement.
- Track results and measure effectiveness of marketing efforts, measure ROI on marketing spend
- In collaboration with the Associate Director of Digital Engagement, help the Advancement Team stay abreast of current developments in content trends, marketing, technology, SEO, social media and email marketing.
Visual Brand Identity
- Manage the relationship with the school’s primary external design firm, direct creative output
- Ensure a consistent visual identity in all print and online imagery
- Ensure other external design firms and internal design projects adhere to the same visual guidelines
- Supervise Graphic and Visual Assets Designer
- Expand Curtis’s abilities to make the most out of the marketing opportunities via its current CRM system (Emma/Raiser’s Edge) and future systems (HubSpot/NXT).
- Optimize the nurture tracks for audience segments to convert leads to customers and more deeply engage constituents.
- Work with Communications Manager to develop documentation and road maps for processes, A/B tests, and promotions that succeed through email.
- Work with Associate Director of Digital Engagement to gather actionable data and implement changes. Monitor effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising strategies through attendance figures, statistics relating to e-newsletter campaigns, Curtis.edu analytics, and other metrics.
- Monitor revenue from event registrations and ticket sales and provide clear and timely reporting on progress against goals
- Promote and foster a data-driven approach to decision making, using existing data and recommending and establishing additional metrics to assess the impact of major marketing initiatives.
Required Core Values:
The ideal candidate must exhibit:
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following core values:
- a positive, “can-do” attitude
- devotion and dedication to Curtis and its community
- passion for his/her work, and contribution to the field and greater good
- commitment and accountability for his/her work, and his/her ability to affect change
- desire and willingness to collaborate, think creatively, and make data-driven decisions
- respect, courtesy, and patience for all members of the Curtis community
- an eagerness to make Curtis a more diverse and inclusive institution
- Minimum 5 years of experience in marketing with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Understanding of integrated marketing; fluency with the ways various offline/online and brand/direct response channels work together.
- Strong brand messaging and creative experience; understands how to develop brand messaging strategy and execute through creative in print and online.
- Experience using customer segmentation to drive successful campaigns, including success with email marketing, lead nurturing, and/or marketing automation.
- Flexible; able to juggle multiple projects and work with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Skilled at collaboration and cross-departmental work
- Highly analytical and able to derive meaning from data
- Excellent writer and communicator (in both written, visual, and verbal form).
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Routine for office environment.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Some travel required.
For best consideration, interested and qualified applicants should electronically submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and salary requirements to email@example.com Curtis offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Hire is contingent upon the successful passing of criminal (ADP) background screenings. The position is open until filled. No phone calls, please. EOE. URL: http://www.curtis.edu